“Let's keep the wind singing in both ears, and pray for the courage to interpret and act upon what it brings to us.”

-Angus H. MacLean

UUA Logo


Annual Meetings

Our annual June meeting is a report of the state of the Fellowship to our members and friends, a forum for ideas, a place to get your questions answered, and where the democratic process takes place.

Click on the attachment below to view the Meeting Minutes.

Click on the attachment below to view the Meeting Minutes.

Click on the attachment below to view the Meeting Minutes.

Click on the attachment below to view the Meeting Minutes.

Click on the Attachment below to view meeting Minutes.

Click on the Attachment below to view meeting Minutes.

Chalice Lighting (Rev. Dr. Beth Johnson)

Welcome & Call to Order (President Misty Kirkman)

Appoint Parliamentarian  (President Misty Kirkman)

Daniel Finkenthal was appointed parliamentarian.

Confirm Quorum (President Misty Kirkman)

Misty announced a quorum was present.

Agenda Review  (President Misty Kirkman)

Treasurer’s Report  (Finance Director Tim Peirce)

Tim stated that overall the Fellowship will have a good year although he’s concerned that the General Fund (our “cash on hand”) appears to be shrinking.  He suggested more fund-raising activities are needed, and Jon Schwestka, president-elect, has volunteered to coordinate further fund-raising efforts.

Tim said assets are divided into four major funds: General, Building, Memorial, and Endowment. Detailed handouts on income and expenses were available. In response to a question form the floor, he said our “fair share” UUA dues are approximately $10,000, of which we have paid $7,000.

Fund Raising (President Misty Kirkman for Jon Schwestka)

President’s Message  (President Misty Kirkman)

Misty reviewed the major activities of the past year and discussed fund raising for Jon Schwestka, who had been called out of town. She pointed out that, thanks to the bequest of Elaine Landau, the kitchen will be renovated and a labyrinth will be created on our grounds. She also pointed out that our second largest fund-raiser, the Metaphysical Faire, is coming up. This fundraiser benefits PUUF, not SEE (Spiral Earth Explorations), the group which is responsible for the event.

Honoring Christopher Miller (Rev. Dr. Beth Johnson)

A certificate was given to Christopher Miller in recognition of his many years of service as webmaster. It was pointed out that many newcomers to our congregation report they decided to come after perusing our well-designed, welcoming website.

Strategic Planning  (Brad Dre, Chair)

Brad announced the names of members of the Strategic Planning Committee: Rev. Beth Johnson, Brenda Balmer, Dan Stracka, Kathleen Moscato, Marianne Swift-Gifford, and Rachel Rott. He announced a series of “cottage meetings” will be held at PUUF. All are encouraged to attend one of the sessions. Meetings are scheduled as follows:

  • Tuesday, Feb. 10, 10 AM-noon
  • Wednesday, Feb. 18, 6:30-8:30 PM
  • Sunday, Feb. 22, 12:30-2:30 PM

Communications Committee  (Past President David Cochran)

David announced the Communications Committee deals with both internal and external communications, including the Internet. Patrick Staight has been appointed Communications Committee chair.

Hands of Peace (Eileen Maurer)

Eileen is coordinator in this region for Hands of Peace (HOP), a program designed to facilitate communication between Israeli and Palestinian youth who come to the U.S. to participate in the program. She announced local host families are needed for both student participants and adult leaders for the program which runs from July 9-27. Applications to participate must be submitted by Feb. 15. Eileen also discussed the creation of the mural which has been proposed as part of the HOP program. The mural would be painted on part of our building, and she invited members to discuss their views with her prior to a decision being made.

Reproductive Justice Task Force (Beth Hastings/Bobbie Upson)

Beth Hastings introduced the UUA draft Statement of Conscience (SOC) on Reproductive Justice and announced the association has developed an extensive curriculum for congregations to use in forming their own Study Action Groups. Congregations are asked to vote on whether to put the proposed SOC on the final agenda for the 2015 General Assembly.

Beth also announced the PUUF Reproductive Task Force will hold a series of six workshops based on this curriculum in the spring. Those interested in participating should contact Bobbie Upson or Beth.

UUA Statement of Conscience

“As Unitarian Universalists, we embrace the reproductive justice framework, which espouses the right to have children, not have children, and parent children in safe and healthy environments. To this we add that all people have the right to bodily autonomy and self-expression with regards to their gender and sexuality.”

The statement further lays out the history of UU support of civil rights and the rights of women, discusses the theological grounding of the Statement of Conscience, and provides a list of actions we can take as individuals and congregations in the wider world.

The congregation voted to approve placing the SOC on the GA agenda by a vote of 79-0 with no abstentions.

Extinguishing Chalice  (President Misty Kirkman)

Adjournment  (President Misty Kirkman)

Palomar Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
Annual Congregational Meeting Agenda
Sunday, June 8th, 2014

Welcome: (President David Cochran)

Chalice Lighting: (Reverend Dr. Beth Johnson)

Call to Order: (President David Cochran)

Appoint Parliamentarian: (President David Cochran)

Agenda Review: (President David Cochran)

Confirm Quorum: (Past President Dick Eiden & Secretary Marj Lacey)

Approval of Minutes of June 2013 Annual Meeting Minutes

Approval of January 2014 congregational Meeting Minutes

Presentation & Election of Officers: (President-Elect Misty Kirkman)

  • President Elect – John Schwestka
  • Secretary – Marj Lacey
  • Treasurer – Tim Peirce

Awards: (President David Cochran)

Election of Committee on Ministry:

  • Metje Saffir – Serving 1 year
  • Ruth Abad – Serving 2 years
  • Marianne Swift Gifford – Serving 2 years
  • Beth Medina – Serving 3 years

More Awards: (President David Cochran)

Election of Nominating Committee:

  • Kimberly Lily
  • Ann Kay
  • Deanna Pearson
  • LiAnn Mufson
  • Todd Dayton
  • Pat Bentz
  • Beth Hastings

C-CAT Report: (Diana Peirce)

Presentation & Adoption of the Budget: (Tim Peirce)

Parking Lot Repair Discussion: (President David Cochran)

Confirmation of By-Law Change:

Palomar Unitarian Universalist By-Laws
Article VII
Section 8
As revised on January 12, 2014

In confirmation of the change in the By-Laws as voted on and adopted during a special congregational meeting on January 12, 2014. The revised By-Law will be read as follows:

Article VII

Section 8: Committee on Ministry: The Committee on Ministry consists of four members elected by the congregation from a slate presented by the Nominating Committee. The members agree to serve for one term of three years.

Terms are staggered. Elected terms for the initial slate will reflect the ongoing staggered terms. Committee on Ministry members may not serve on the Executive Board or as the Coordinator of the Council of Committees, Activities, and Teams.

The Committee on Ministry meets monthly under normal circumstances. The Committee chooses one member each year to serve as the Chair. The Chair is responsible for disseminating information, soliciting items for the agenda, and running the meeting.

The Committee on Ministry is responsible for 1) supporting members in living the congregation’s mission and covenant; 2) evaluating and supporting the fulfillment of the mission and covenant, and 3) consulting with professional clergy and other staff, the executive board, task forces, teams, committees, and members of the congregation and sharing the Committee’s impressions of the effectiveness of ministry to the congregation.

Candidates for the Committee on Ministry should be active members familiar with the congregation’s history and culture; respected and trusted by lay and clergy; able to focus on the big picture mission, covenant, and ministry; skillful in communication, and committed to the well-being of the whole.

This also changes Article V, Section 2, #2 to read as follows…

At each annual meeting, the congregation: Elects one or two members to serve on the Committee on Ministry for a staggered, three year term.

Honoring the Outgoing Board: (Reverend Dr. Beth Johnson)

  • Dick Eiden, Past President

Call for Other Business:

Adjournment: (President David Cochran)

Extinguishing chalice

Chalice Lighting: Rev. Beth Johnson               

Welcome & Call the Meeting to Order: President, David Cochran
The meeting was called to order at 12:34 p.m.

Call for Quorum: President, David Cochran

David announced a quorum was present.

Appoint the Parliamentarian: President, David Cochran       

Daniel Stracka was appointed parliamentarian.

Review the agenda: President, David Cochran       

Treasurer’s Report: Finance Director, Tim Peirce

Tim reported we are in good financial condition at the midpoint of our fiscal year with overall expenses at 94% of the amount projected and income at 99% of the amount project.        

President’s Message: President, David Cochran

David thanked Tim Pierce and John Schwestka who took charge of investing our funds in companies which operate in accordance with our values. David also announced that the fellowship continues to be a beacon of light in North County. Membership has risen from 167 to 184 since he took office, and our primary tenant, the preschool, is considering expanding. David recognized Al Cox for his work with buildings and grounds, and Carolyn Celia and Kimberly Lilley for our outstanding music program. He also pointed out that the Interfaith Center for Worker Justice honored Rev. Beth and other UU ministers for their work in the worker justice arena.

Committee on Ministry Bylaw Change

David introduced the subject of the Committee on Ministry by explaining that the committee had been suspended for a period of evaluation by a task force, which has now presented a proposed change in the bylaws governing that group. A side-by-side comparison of the old bylaws and the new was given to each member present.
Misty Kirkman proffered a motion as follows: “On the recommendation of the Committee on Ministry task force, I move that Article 7, Section 8 of the by-laws be changed to increase the terms of Committee on Ministry members to three-year terms; and Committee on Ministry members shall be elected by the congregation at the annual meeting from names provided to Nominating Committee by the President Elect.”

The motion was seconded and discussion ensued, during which a number of concerns were expressed.

Three amendments to the amended bylaws were approved prior to voting on the amendment as a whole:

  • By a vote of  51 yeas, 2 nos, 0 abstentions, the first sentence was changed from:
    • The Committee on Ministry consists of four members elected by the congregation from a slate presented by the Nominating Committee, with potential candidate names provided by the President Elect after consultation with the Executive Board, Minister, Council of Committees, Activities, and Teams, and current Committee on Ministry.
  • To:
    • The Committee on Ministry consists of four members elected by the congregation from a slate presented by the Nominating Committee.
  • By a vote of 54 yeas, 0 nos, 0 abstentions, point 1 in sentence 9 was changed from:
    • helping members understand the congregation’s mission and covenant;
  • To:
    • supporting members in living the congregation’s mission and covenant;
  • By a vote of  58 yeas, 2 nos, 2 abstentions, point 3 in sentence 9 was changed from:
    • consulting with professional clergy and other staff, the executive board , task forces, teams and committees and sharing the Committee's impressions of the effectiveness of ministry to the congregation.
  • To:
    • consulting with professional clergy and other staff, the executive board , task forces, teams, committees and members of the congregation and sharing the Committee's impressions of the effectiveness of ministry to the congregation.

The above amendments having been approved, the proposed bylaw change was approved by a vote of 58 yeas, 0 nos, and 2 abstentions.

Advancing Consideration of a Change to the First Principle at the 2014 UUA General Assembly Agenda                                       

Rev. Beth introduced a proposal to support the First Principle Project in seeking to advance a change to the UUA Bylaw, Article II Principles and Purposes, Section c-2.1 Principles, Line 12. Advancing an item to the agenda of the General Assembly requires a vote of no less than fifteen congregations within the UUA.

The motion is: “Palomar Unitarian Universalist Fellowship votes to advance to the 2014 UUA General Assembly Agenda the following change to Article II Principles and Purposes, Section c-2.1 Principles, Line 12, UUA bylaws:

      To omit “every person" and replace it with "every being.”
During the discussion, concerns were expressed regarding the broad meaning of “every being.” Rev. Beth and others explained that a vote on the current motion would simply allow the UUA to advance the matter to the agenda and that the concerns being addressed here would be thoroughly considered by the UUA over a period of time before being voted upon.

By a vote of 36-15, the proposal to support advancing the issue to the GA agenda was approved.

Chalice Extinguished
Meeting Adjourned: David Cochran
The meeting was adjourned at 2:12 p.m.

Palomar Unitarian Universalist Fellowship
Annual Congregational Meeting Agenda
Sunday, June 9th, 2013

Chalice Lighting: (Reverend Beth Johnson) “Blessed are those”

Call to Order/Welcome: (Ellyn Lester) 12:55 PM Agenda Approved.

Quorum met (78 total – Quorum 44)

Presidents Message: (Ellyn Lester) …

I’d like to welcome everyone to the 2013 Congregational Meeting. I’m so happy that everyone could be here this afternoon. I know everyone is busy and it truly shows your dedication that you’re spending your precious time with us reviewing our past year and looking forward to the future.

I’d also like to spend a few minutes mentioning some key moments from the past year…In the last 12 months we completed some amazing achievements including ordaining Pat McLaughlin as a minister and sponsoring our first SALT Fellow. We also had our first Metaphysical Fair and a very successful Auction.

I would be remiss if I didn’t also acknowledge the huge amount of effort that went into the planning of this year…planning that was executed, thus allowing us to overcome last year’s crisis. It is so uplifting to know that we are no longer in crisis; unfortunately we’re not completely “out of the woods.” As you’ll see in a moment, we are still just getting by….

But, before we begin discussing next year’s budget, I’d just like to personally thank each and every one of you who supported the Fellowship, especially my fellow board members, Brenda Balmer, Dave Cochran, the amazing Misty Kirkman and Ann Kay. Both of these ladies were not only on the board, doing their numerous duties, but were also chairing other committees, attending other meetings, etc. While there’s simply not enough time to acknowledge everyone who gives their time, talents and treasures to the Fellowship, I would also like to publically thank Kelly Grimes for her incredible leadership, especially as the C-CAT Chair.

I’d also like to thank each of you for allowing me to be your President over the course of the last year. I considered it an honor when I was first approached about the position and I still consider it an honor today.

Now, at this time I’d like to ask Ann Kay to come up and introduce all of you to the proposed budget for the 2013-2013 year. Ann….

Budget Presentation: (Ann Kay) Ann Acknowledged Tim Peirce for his aid in this year’s Budget presentation…

Budget Discussion:

Rachel Rott – Only one budget to vote on this year? Yes because we are no longer in crises.

Rachel Respectfully disagrees….feels to follow a demcocratic process we should have more than one budget to choose from.

Kimberly Lilley stood up to explain how an Executive board works on forming the Budget.

Kasey Cincerelli questioned about Surplus? There are still weeks left before end of year.

Michael Mufson questioned whether or not we can amend this budged offered. Katia Hanson (parliamentarian) states laws on this.

Ellyn Lester explained how ‘bottom up’ budget works.

Jan Boyson questioned about Advertising budget.

Kimberley Lilley questions if and when Auction will happen?

Mary Clare asks about Solar Power? Yes… Wade Mauer did research on various systems and found that our electric usage is not enough to pay off the expense of the Solar Power panels. Pat McLaughlin lets everyone know that due to nonprofit status we don’t qualify for SDGE benefits.

Daniel Stracka wanted to know about if there is any room in budget for stewardship?

Rachel Rott still questions about changing budget in order to be able to grow.

John Rott questions how we can grow without changing this budget to be more balanced. Take away from Music and give more to Social Justice.

Eileen Mauer speaks about Social Justice, Michelle Bell speaks about it also with Brunch and Holiday drive and Dick Eiden speaks up about how we rise to occasion when Social Justice needed.

Erin Sprague spoke up about being a young adult and how in order to grow we need more funds so how does that happen? We need to give more or find ways to be able to give more. Reverend Beth speaks to congregation on how we as a congregation are going to do this in relation to our ‘values’.

Need to add other funds such as Brunch Donations, etc. to a budget review report.

Vote to pass Budget: Brad Dre made a Motion to pass budget, Kimberly Lilly 2nd the motion. With 6 No’s and 3 abstentions’ the Motion to pass the Budget Proposed was approved.

Introduction of next year’s Board and Nominating Committee: (David Cochran)

President Elect = Misty Kirkman
Secretary = Marj Lacey
Finance Director = Tim Peirce

Nominating Committee:
Bobbie Upson
Jessica Fairchild
Lonna Leghart
Melissa “Missy” Wise
Michelleanne Bradley

There was discussion about 2 missing alternates for nominating committee and if we could nominate from floor. This was explained by Parliamentarians’ (Katia Hansen and Patrick McLaughlin) according to By-Laws and ‘Roberts Rules of Order’

Ballot Vote: 77 Votes total… (76 yes for Board/1 no for board – 75 yes Nominating Committee/2 no’s for nominating committee)

C-CAT Report: (Diana Peirce for Kelley Grimes)…
CCAT Report for 2012-2013
Written by Kelley Grimes

Dear Palomar UU Fellowship Board and Beloved Congregation,

I want to start by saying I am so sorry to miss our annual congregational meeting. I am on a business trip to New York and have asked Diana Pierce to read the CCAT report on my behalf.

It has been my privilege to serve as the coordinator of CCAT (Council of Committees, Activities and Teams) for the past two years. In that time the council has become a well-attended and vibrant meeting place for leaders of committees and groups in our community, as well as individuals wanting support to manifest an idea or project. I want to remind you all that everyone is welcome to our monthly meetings on the 4th Tuesday of every month. During these meetings we share information about what our committees and groups are doing, coordinate activities, share needs, acknowledge gratitude for outstanding service and support each other in creating a fellowship of radical hospitality, mindful communication and active stewardship. We also make the day-to-day decisions needed to run the fellowship while the board creates the policies within which we operate.

This year we have added the following groups and activities to our fellowship. We started offering yoga on Fridays at 9am in the sanctuary, started the Heart Centered Women’s Entrepreneur Group that meets on the 2nd Tuesday of every month at 6:30pm and a cancer support group called Supporting One Another that meets every Sunday at 12:15. There are currently a few committees, which have few to no members and need your active stewardship. Those committees are buildings and grounds, communication and auction. I invite you to share your gifts and leadership and sign up!

I want to close by saying how grateful I am for the amazing leadership here at the fellowship! We are blessed to have leaders who are so committed, dedicated, creative and devoted to having Palomar Fellowship continue to grow and thrive. I am grateful to have served as the coordinator of CCAT and lovingly hand off the leadership to Diana Pierce. As Ann Kay always says “CCAT is where it’s at!” So please join us and be part of this dynamic group!

Awards: (David Cochran)…
Unsung UU Award: Wade Maurer
Board Appreciation Award: Jan Boyson
New Member Award: Rick Appleton
Presidents Award (presented by Ellyn Lester): Ann Kay and Misty Kirkman

Honoring the Outgoing Board: (Reverend Beth Johnson)
Brenda Balmer, Past President
Ann Kay, Finance Director

New Business from the Floor:

-Joe Smollen made a request for special funding to bring air condition to building. Was discussed and this issue will be brought to a ‘Town Hall’ meeting soon.

-A suggestion was made for a ‘Phone Tree’ to implemented so members of the Congregation that do not participate in email and the internet and keep informed.

A Motion was made to form a committee to feasibly some sort of cooling system in sanctuary and the Board will be responsible for putting together a committee for this.

Vote on Motion: With 9 No’s and 3 Abstentions’, Motion passed.

Adjournment: (Ellyn Lester) 2: 40 PM

Extinguishing chalice

Palomar UU Fellowship
Annual Congregational Meeting
June 3rd, 2012

Chalice Lighting - Rev. Beth Johnson read ‘Stand by this Faith’ by Olympia Brown.
Welcome: Brenda – Thanks everyone for being present and briefly goes over agenda as below.
Board Members Present: Tamara Lowell, Brenda Balmer, Ellyn Lester, Ann Kay, Daniel Martin.

The meeting was brought to order at 12:37 pm by President Brenda Balmer. Motion for approval of the June 2011 Congregation Meeting Minutes was motioned by John Rott and seconded by Kimberly Lilley. The congregation voted unanimously to accept them.

Presidents Message: Brenda Balmer - Well, this is it. This is where the rubber meets the road. It has been an amazing year. Lots of talking, lots of listening, and lots of striving to be our best selves. I want to say THANK YOU!! You did it. We did it. We will be presenting you with three budgets to choose between this year, and none of them contain staff cuts. Wow! The pledge was a great success because you stepped up. Brenda continued to comment on active stewardship amongst the fellowship, the listening campaign conducted by Rachel Rott. The resignation of Director of Religious Education (DRE), Lisa Wellens. DRE committee convened to find a replacement. Social Justice has gone cyber. The raising of $4,000.00 in plate share contributions and how continual increased pledges will keep us from cutting staff. Next year, under new president, Ellyn Lester, a commitment from all of us is needed in order to make our dreams happen. Brenda ends with “How will you manifest your dreams for the fellowship?”

Stewardship Message: John Rott  
Acknowledged all of the people who participated in the stewardship process; Pledge Drive Participates, Budget task force meetings, Pledge task force meetings. Fund raising meetings and Congregational Conversations’ in the fall. John asked the congregation to give applause.

Fund Raising Commitments Update: Kelley Grimes
The following fund raising prospects were presented for congregants to sign up to participate…Parents night out, Metaphysical Faire, Sale of Items, Annual Auction, Craft Faire, Script – shopping cards, rummage sale, talent/game gathering events, monthly classes.

Kelley discussed what money can honestly be raised?… how many people are needed to make it happen? Some of the fund raising ideas have more people signed up for than others. Kelley asked everyone to look at the options for fund raising again and please sign up if possible.

Note: Enough people signed up to make most of the suggested ideas a reality.

Budget Presentation: Ann Kay
Tim Pierce has been helping Ann Kay. Linda Hazelton (our current bookkeeper) will be taking the place of Elaine De Neef. Every Sat AM, finance staff will be here cutting checks, etc. Ann gives gratitude thanks to Elaine. Thanks also to those who do all the counting, etc. of plate share… Bill & Corinne Gallagher, Susan Walker, and Rick Appleton. Special thanks to Harry Wolcott for making sure collection plates are ready for use.

Building a New Way – Diana Pierce is working with Ann Kay on pledges and the coming and going of people, etc. There will be a quarterly budget update per Ann. There has been a 17% increase of pledges over last year. Budget choices as per listed on-Line… Started out with 6 choices… ended up with 3 budget scenarios.

2012-2013 Budget Income

Pledges - $159, 044.00
Building Use - $5,400.00
Preschool Rental - $11,800.00
Auction - $10,000.00
Other Fundraising - $2,000.00 – $8,000.00
Plate(s) - $8, 500.00

Total Income $196,744.00 – $202,744.00


Committees - $4,510.00 – $6,925.00
Ministry and staff - $82,831.00 – $85,831.00
Building and Grounds - $24,667.00 – $24,867.00 (to run status quo only – no improvements)
Stewardship (new category) - $200.00
RE - $23,395.00
Music - $25,317.00
UUA/PSWD dues -$2,000.00
Office - $33,940.00

Total Expenses 196,660 – 202,275.

Questions/Answers and Comments:

  1. If we put off building repair now it will only become more expensive later… is there anything in the budget that will allow for this? A: Brenda answered with “there are some extra monies available not listed in operating budget that could be used for this.”
  2. Can the congregation get a list of what is needed? Ann answered with we could get this information from George De Neef.
  3. Why Buildings and Grounds not included in this budget? General maintenance is included in budget per Brenda.
  4. There are things we CAN do and things we cannot… would like to know if these can be identified? Brenda answered these things were identified at the budgeting meetings.
  5. It was suggested that when things come out in telescope for meetings like this that the agenda should be printed into the telescope or have enough copies printed for everyone. Suggestion was noted.
  6. What’s included in staff? – Ann answered with “Rev. Beth’s annual dues, attending GA and Salary ($52,000 – $37,080 is housing). Rev. Beth’s salary is taxed, housing is not. Music Director, RE and Janice’s Salaries are under office.
  7. It was asked for a cleaning crew regularly on top of Janitorial help. Katia Hansen responded with we opted to go with ‘bare bones’ cleaning service. Ideally twice a week instead of once would be best but we would have to pay more monies out.
  8.  Hugh Lester understands we are going to make a choice of 3 options for a Budget. He notes that if we choose the low option will there be enough help to make this happen? It was answered with if we all pledged $1,500.00 we could make budget. Ann responded with $1,800.00 would be more like it but families count as one.
  9. Eileen Maurer stated that if pledges done per member, at $1,500.00 then a family would be $3,000.00. This would not seem realistic. Instead people are asked to pledge what they are capable of paying without affecting their family in a negative way.
  10. Missy Wise suggested – Figure out what are we comfortable with and then crunch that number.
  11. John Rott noted – what struck him most in the fellowship was the wonderful stewardship and how it brings memberships in. He suggests everyone invite others to Sunday Service.
  12. Jan Boysen was thanked for keeping archives and getting books out more often.

Vote: The three Budget choices are as follows… (can vote for one option only – option that gets the most votes wins)

  1. Low Fund Raising ($2,000)
  2. Medium Fun Raising ($5,000)
  3. High Fund Raising ($8,000)

C-CAT Report: Kelley Grimes
Kelley quoted the meaning of C-CAT, ‘Counsel of Committees, Activities and Teams’ – C-Cat works to make day to day decision makes while the Board creates vision and policies. C-CAT regularly meets with the Board President and Minister. C-CAT supports and embodies the fellowship. They meet the 4th Tuesday of every month from 6:30 – 8:30 PM. Leaders of groups are expected to be there. If a group expects funding from budget, their leaders are REQUIRED to attend. If the chair can’t come, send a rep. George De Neef was recognized for installing the flag pole. Rick Appleton has a great idea for filming elders on video. C-CAT will be starting leadership training in the fall. Janice was asked to place dates on Calendar, etc. for a year. NOTE: C-CAT for June 26th will be for Calendaring the year.

Report on Repudiate Doctrines of Discovery issue: Rev. Beth Johnson
In September of 2011, the UUA Board was asked by partner organizations with whom the UUA is working in Arizona to educate UU congregations about the Doctrine of Discovery and to ask the delegates of the 2012 General Assembly to repudiate this doctrine. We believe that the Doctrine of Discovery, as conceived in the 15th century and enforced to this day in U.S. law, is contrary to Unitarian Universalist principles, theology and values. Because of this, we recommend to our member congregations that they engage in education about the Doctrine of Discovery and we endorse the repudiation of the Doctrine of Discovery by the 2012 General Assembly. We further endorse measures that will help the United States be in full compliance with the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People, an agreement seen as reparative to the centuries of damage caused by the Doctrine of Discovery.
NOTE: Rev Beth Johnson believes GA will repudiate this.

Tallies from Budget Votes: 1) Low = 18. 2) Medium = 45. 3) High = 25 Medium Fun Raising ($5,000) gets winning vote.

Awards: Ellyn Lester
UnsungUU award goes to Dick Gaines
Board Appreciation Award goes to John & Rachel Rott
Presidents Award goes to Kelley Grimes

Honoring the Outgoing Board: Rev. Beth Johnson acknowledgement and thanks to our current Board members; Brenda Balmer, Tamara Lowell, Ellyn Lester, Ann Kay and Danny Martin.

Rev. Beth then gives thank you Gift of UU principle cards to Danny and Tamara for their service as they leave.

Ellyn Lester introduces the nominees for next year’s Board positions and Nominating Committee…

David Cochran, President Elect
Misty Kirkman, Secretary

Nominating Committee…
Brad Dre
Sally Gaines
Sharle Kinnear
Deanna Pierson
Carol Roberts
Susan Thayer

Voting Resulted in one no and one abstain, otherwise ALL nominees voted in.

Adjournment: 2 pm

Extinguishing chalice

Get Adobe Reader

Adobe Reader is required for the online edition of Telescope and other PDF documents on this site, and it is a free download.

Get Adobe Reader